Tuesday, 14 February 2017
Living in the Rectory next door
to the old rectory in Askeaton
Since last month [19 January 2017], I have been living in the Rectory in Askeaton in Co Limerick. This house was built about 15 years ago, around 2001, in the orchard of the former glebe house for Askeaton which stands next door.
Earlier this week, I was welcomed by neighbours to the former rectory, and was shown around the house which is now known as Ballindeel House.
Ballindeel House is a detached, three-bay, two-storey over basement former glebe house, and was built in 1827. This former rectory was originally designed by the architect James Pain (1779-1877) for the Revd Richard Murray (1777-1854).
Richard Murray, who was Rector of Askeaton in 1824-1829, had been appointed to the parish through the patronage of Sir Matthew Blakiston, then the owner of the Manor of Askeaton.
Murray was the secretary of the West Limerick Bible Society, and while he was in Askeaton he was involved in what became known as the ‘Second Reformation.’ He stirred up considerable religious controversy because of his aggressive attempts to proselytise Roman Catholics and his polemical and bruising debates, laced with claim and counter-claim, with his Roman Catholic counterpart, Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald.
However, Murray’s parishioners were not happy with his approach and his attitude, and saw him as a disruptive intruder. Behind the scenes, moves were to find an alternative appointment for Murray. This became a reality in 1829, the year Catholic Emancipation was passed, when the Lord Lieutenant, the Duke of Northumberland, offered him the post of Dean of Ardagh in Co Longford.
Murray was replaced by the Revd James Drummond Money, who was presented as the Rector of Askeaton by Sir Matthew Blakiston on 25 November 1830. Money seems to have restored calm on his appointment, and remained in Askeaton until 1833, living at the new rectory.
Later, in evidence to a Commission of Inquiry in 1837, Murray claimed his converts in Askeaton had numbered between 160 and 170 adults, as well as about 300 young people and children. In his evidence, he also expressed his disappointment with the Protestants in the Askeaton area for their lack of zeal in following his own example in proselytising.
Murray remained a member of the militant Protestant Association and was the author of several books, including tracts attacking the Roman Catholic Church such as Outlines of the history of the Catholic Church in Ireland (1840) Ireland and Her Church (1845). He died in Ardagh, Co Longford, in 1854.
James Pain, who was the architect of the rectory, was also the architect of Castletown Church. He was born in Isleworth, Middlesex, in 1779, and a son of James Pain, a surveyor and builder. James and his younger brother, George Pain (1792-1838), were apprenticed to John Nash (1752-1835), the architect responsible for much of the layout of Regency London under the patronage of the Prince Regent.
The Pain brothers came to Ireland in 1811 to supervise building Lough Cultra Castle in Gort, Co Limerick, which John Nash designed for Charles Vereker. The Pain brothers settled in Ireland and they built up a considerable practice. James Pain settled in Limerick, while George lived in Cork.
The buildings they designed or worked on include Dromoland Castle, Co Clare; Saint Columba’s Church, Drumcliffe, Ennis, Co Clare; Saint Mary’s Church, Shandon, Cork; Saint Patrick’s Church, Cork; Holy Trinity Church, Cork; Blackrock Castle, Cork; Baal’s Bridge, Thomond Bridge, and Athlunkard Bridge, all in Co Limerick; Limerick Gaol and part of Adare Manor, where Pain was replaced as architect by AWN Pugin.
In 1824, James Pain was appointed architect for the Board of First Fruits in Munster. He designed and built a great number of the Church of Ireland churches and glebe houses in Co Limerick, including this Glebe House in Askeaton, and Castletown Church, near Pallaskenry, which is one of the four churches in this group of parishes.
The house has an ashlar limestone porch to the front or north elevation, and a nine-bay, two-storey extension to the east elevation.
There is a hipped slate roof with overhanging eaves, timber brackets and a rendered chimney-stack.
The porch has a carved limestone cornice and a flat roof.
The roughcast rendered walls have a render plinth course to basement.
There are square-headed openings to the first floor of the front elevation, with six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows and limestone sills.
On the ground floor, there are round-headed window openings to the front elevation set within round-headed recesses having limestone sills. There are square-headed openings to the west elevation. At the back of the house, the south elevation there are six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows and limestone sills.
The square-headed openings to the basement have replacement uPVC windows and limestone sills.
The round-headed opening to the east elevation has a six-over-three pane timber sliding sash window.
The round-headed opening to the porch is set within a round-headed recess having a limestone sill, a carved keystone and a spoked fanlight over a six-over-six pane timber sliding sash window with a cast-iron sill guard.
The round-headed opening to the porch at the west elevation has a carved impost course, a keystone and a spoked fanlight over the timber panelled door.
The house has a flight of limestone steps to the entrance with cast-iron railings. The round-headed opening to the porch at its east elevation has a carved impost course and keystone that are now blocked up.
The four-bay two-storey outbuilding to the west has a replacement slate hipped roof. There are roughcast rendered walls, and the square-headed openings have replacement uPVC windows and limestone sills.
At the entrance to the house, there is a pair of square-profile piers built with render over limestone and carved caps, along with replacement double-leaf metal gates. Closer to the present rectory, to the north-east of the house, there is also a pair of piers with square-profiles, built in render over limestone, with carved caps, double-leaf cast-iron gates. The sweeping rubble limestone boundary walls have a camber-headed pedestrian entrance with a single-leaf cast-iron gate.
Today, this house retains much of its attractive and well-proportioned façade, which is distinguished by the finely-cut limestone porch and dressings and these are typical representatives of 19th-century craftsmanship.
The house is set in a mature landscape, and the setting is enhanced by the well-preserved outbuildings and the decorative entrance piers and gates. Within living memory there was a gate lodge beside the west-end entrance gates, and some signs of it can still be discerned.