01 November 2014

Speaking on the Deanery of Penkridge
in Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin

In 1225, Archbishop Henry de Loundres of Dublin began building the Church of Saint Michael and All Angels in Penkridge (Photograph: Patrick Comerford, 2014)

The ‘Church of Ireland Notes’ in The Irish Times (p 22) this morning (1 November 2014) begin with these paragraphs:

The autumn meeting of the Church of Ireland Historical Society will be held today in the Music Room in Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin. Coffee and registration at 10 a.m.

In the morning session, Dr Caroline Gallagher will talk about ‘First Fruits churches and the Diocese of Meath, 1800-23.’ She will be followed by Jeffrey Cox, a research student from UCD who will discuss the episcopate of Alexander Craic, 1560-64.’

After lunch, Canon Patrick Comerford, of the Church of Ireland Theological Institute, will speak about ‘The Archbishops of Dublin and the Deanery of Penkridge: a medieval peculiar in the Diocese of Lichfield.’ The meeting will conclude with a paper by Dr Martin Maguire, from Dundalk Institute of Technology, on ‘Protestant republicans and revolutionaries, 1912-13.’

The Church of Ireland Historical Society meets twice a year: in the public library, Armagh, in April, and in Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin, in November. Queries may be emailed to Dr Adrian Empey at: secretary.coihs@gmail.com or visit churchofirelandhist.org.

No comments: